Friday 13 November 2015

November 12th - 13th

25 miles and 28 miles

I set off from Mareeba to Atherton expecting to arrive in under 2 hours. Unfortunately the head wind from hell slowed progress down and it took more like 3 hours 30 minutes. The views were nice though. Rolling hills and picturesque farm yards. I stopped at The Peanut Palace for some food, drink and a chance to have an internal chat with myself. A bad head wind can beat you up mentally so it's always good to stop and take in your situation and surroundings. I eventually made it to warmshower hosts Stephen and Trish's house to find 2 beautiful cats and a very excited dog. The hosts were still at work so I entertained myself trying to tire the dog out by throwing his Rugby ball around the garden. Safe to say I quit first. When the whole family arrived we sat and chatted then I talked with their young sons while the Spag Bol dinner was being made. These are the second youngsters who have hit me with logical quiz questions. The previous hosts son kept giving me brain twisters to try and work out. After dinner I got my own back by confusing them with the classic twist my hand 360 degrees trick and the legendary Del Boy gag were he bets a fiver that he can make someone turn his hands over without touching them. Phil 1 - Aussie Youth 0. The hosts asked me to stay another night so I can go Kayaking. Never one to turn that down I accepted. For my second day in Atherton I rode south to Lake Eacham and spent the morning chilling by the lake. I heard they had turtles there but I found out that it's to hot for them to come to shore. Still it's a great setting and I had a good walk around. In the afternoon I did my kayaking and also had a good chat with a sailing instructor. He was interested in my travels and gave me some wind and hill advice. I'm really loving the Australian people, they are helpful, interesting and pleasant. Just like the Americans were.

No comments:

Post a Comment