Sunday 15 November 2015

November 14th - 15th
Atherton to Mena Creek to Mission Beach
Total trip 284 miles

I left Stephen and Trish at 7am to try and get some miles before the heat came. In this part of the world though it's pretty full on within a couple of hours so I was sweating buckets by 9. The views are spectacular and the iPhone camera does not do them justice. My first break came at a waterfall in Malanda. It was to early to take a dip as I was putting some good miles in so I ate a power bar and cracked onto the falls at Millaa Millaa. I also didn't swim here as the water was quite muddy. The falls were nice but when you can't see the bottom of the pool it puts you off a bit. The miles were clocking quickly thanks to a favourable wind so at the 60 mile mark I stopped at a Creek and hid the bike in the bushes and took a well earned plunge. For the remainder of the route I took the Palmerstan highway. A few long climbs but some exhilarating downhill runs. At 100 miles as if by magic I arrived at the Mena Hotel. I asked inside if I could set my tent up out the back and the owner said, as long as I came in and bought a beer. 3 beers and one plate of chips later and I was feed, showered and in the tent chilling. 
The ride to Mission Beach was only a 40 mile run but as usual with any location I ride with Mission in the name it always becomes one. One wrong turn sent me on a 5 mile loop almost back to where I started from and another turn sent me 4 miles to a locked gate. Finally the third ball ache was being attacked by Magpies. I have found that if you are close to where they have nests then they become really protective and swoop in and dive bomb passing cyclists or pedestrians. One attack caused me to ditch the bike and run up the side of a farm. I was told later that if I put cable ties all over my bike helmet it will stop them pecking my head. Next stop, a hardware shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment