Tuesday 5 January 2016

Jan 3rd - 4th

Beechworth - Melbourne

After finishing my first trail, the starting point for the next one would be a 40 mile ride through back roads to the town of Beechworth. It's unfortunate that the trail doesn't join as one big connection but the roads are so quiet that it seems trail like anyway. I spoke with the priest before I left and we talked about my travels and he was quite impressed with Canada to Mexico. I told him about the line of churches from northern to southern California called the missions. I explained that they were supposed to be at the top of the highest point of each town as to be closer to the heavens but this was of no comfort to a weary rider looking for sanctuary after a 40 mile ride in 90 degree heat. He flashed me the sign of the cross, gave me the blessing of the lone traveller and waved me on my way. The hills in this area are pretty decent, certainly not to be taken lightly. I took lunch in a small town with a beautiful cenotaph called Yackandandah. Remembering those that have laid down their lives for their country is an incredibly visual presence in Australia. Most towns have a memorial centerpiece and they usually are by a park with benches so stopping for lunch gives chance for reflection.
Following my GPS I took a turn into La Serena hill to arrive in Beechworth and meet my host Karen. She is a lovely lady, really nice home and 2 adorable cats. We had a good chat about travel. She recently cycled Tasmania and showed me her photos. For dinner she made chicken with broccoli, cauliflower and mashed potato. I told her I was going to Melbourne over the next few days and she mentioned she was going the next morning and that I could take a lift. This meant not doing anymore trails but she said I had finished one of the better ones anyway so I accepted her offer. We arrived in Melbourne and met Karen's friends for a ride around the south city bike path. We covered 30 miles in a few hours before looping back to the car. Karen dropped me off not far from my new hosts apartment and we said goodbye.
My new host lives alongside the Botanical gardens in an area called St Kilda. Her name is Bronnie. I've had two nights here and had a quick look around the city. It reminds me of Chicago. The Yadda river runs through downtown and they have a good tram system. On Tuesday I set off for the Great Ocean Road. There have been a lot of bush fires along a stretch from Apollo Bay to Lorne and there are some road closures but I'll find out more once the peddles are turning.

Footnote: I send my best regards to Angie, she has had to return home. Safe travels and Australia misses you.

No comments:

Post a Comment