Saturday 9 January 2016

Jan 8th - 9th
Port Campbell to Warrnambool to Melbourne


The final day on the Great Ocean Road was actually really easy. The only bad thing were the flies. Any stopping to take in the view meant doing a Jack Douglas impression. Someone mentioned to me an action called the Melbourne wave where you constantly wave flies away from your face. It's really annoying and can ruin any picnic really quickly. Flies aside the trip to my final destination was flat and slightly down hill most of the way. I reached Warrnambool around mid afternoon and started to look for a wild camp spot. I noticed both a decent clearing in a park and an area behind the church, first though I needed to go to the charity shop St Vincents or Vinnies as it's known in Australia. The last two nights had dropped cold after dark so I thought best to look for a sleeping bag. I managed to get a great one for only $7. It's a fair thickness so will do the job especially in Tasmania and New Zealand.
After dinner I looked on wiki camps and saw a hostel showing close to where I was and in the comments it said that you can put a tent up and have full facilities for only $12. I thought it was worth the money for a few comforts so found it and booked in. Once sorted I went to the train station to sort a ticket back to Melbourne but the early train left at 5.30am and the later ones had a good chance of having no bike spaces so I reluctantly got the early ticket and set my alarm for 4.30am. Taking the tent down in the dark and trying to be quiet was not the easiest of things but I overcame it and made my train. I'm now back in Melbourne and going to Tasmania. I'm staying with a host who is a fashion designer in a smart area of the Melbourne midtown. She made a beautiful pasta dish for me. I'm really getting into these vegetable, spicy and salad meals. My next plan is to buy a new bike bag, sort my ticket for Tasmania and go and see the Andy Warhol exhibition currently on at the art gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment