Thursday 21 January 2016

January 19th - 22nd

Triabunna - Hobart

I had a short ride from Swansea to the next town called Triabunna. It gave me chance to sort my camping out and relax by the harbour all afternoon. I camped behind a pub that had an agreement that camping is okay a long as you buy a beer. As I had covered some big miles I was arriving into Hobart a day early but this wasn't an issue for my hosts to have me for an extra night. Hobart is a great midsized city on the south coast and closed in by a mountain range to it's north.
For my first day I sorted out my phone by having a new screen fitted, did some shopping for a fleece, bicycle shorts and had a slap up breakfast.
Nothing wrong with a big calorie blast out. I met my hosts, a lovely family. Ingrid and Mendlet. They are just in the process of building their own home on the side of a hill over looking Hobart. They have the steepest drive I have ever seen. I managed to ride up it once but have pushed my bike up every time since. I have been here for three days and have been treated superbly. I have had a chicken curry, lasagne and bbq salmon.
On my first full day I took a ride to the Mona art gallery to see the Gilbert and George display. There were some good pop culture items but I struggle to agree that 4 bags of coal and a wall full of ceramic ladies private parts can be classed as real art.
In the early evening I was invited to join in a boat race around the River Derwent with Mendelt and three of his friends.I had a go at steering prior to race and when the race started my job was to move under the sail as we turned so as to keep the weight spread at the right time. Once again like so many times before the generosity of a warmshower host in enteraining me as a guest has been brilliant. All that's ever expected is the minimum of somewhere to sleep, wash and eat but every time has something more than just that.
My second day was all about riding the 1262 metre Mt Wellington. It took 80 minutes to reach the summit in a decent heat. I was passed by 3 other cyclists but they were on carbon fibre bikes with no bags so I didn't feel to bad. The views from the top were stunning from every angle. I may invest in a decent camera when I get to New Zealand as there will be a lot of similar and highet points to reach.
So my Tasmanian adventure concludes with me returning to Melbourne to spend two days relaxing with my daughter who is now working in Geelong for 6 months. After that New Zealand for 6 weeks, either best get planning a route or just see which way the wind is blowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment