Thursday 7 January 2016

Jan 7th 

Apollo Bay to Port Campbell 60 miles

I had a good night at the Surfside Backpacker Hostel. The facilities were perfect for $20. I got talking to a French girl called Violet. She is from Brittany in West France. She has come to Australia to ride from Perth to Adelaide onto Melbourne then fly to Phuket to ride home back to France. She was going to ride through the Nulaboor desert from Perth but wisely decided against it. A desert in the hight of summer is never going to be easy. Not impossible just slightly dangerous.
We exchanged details as she is interested in going to Tasmania for a week at the sametime as me. 
I set off at 10am to get some good mileage before lunch. The hills made this very slow and hard work. The hill riding is never to much of an issue for me though you have to be in the right mind set. It's not a quick ride when hills are involved. Yes it's quick going down but if it takes 40 minutes to ride up and 4 minutes to ride down then your overall mileage 
Is going to struggle. The road came off the coast for most of the days ride until the 12 Apostles Rock range at the back end if the day. After lunch I saw some more Koala bears sitting in the gum trees. This time the rare sight was of a mother and baby Koala. At first it looked like one fat Koala until the babies head came poking out the mothers fur. 2 months without seeing any then 2 groups in 2 days complete with a baby. My day finished at the 12 Apostles just outside Port Campbell. I have seen some stunning views in the last 6 months and can rank the Apostles high on the list. It's now early evening and I got a spot in a nice campsite. Good shower, nice Chilli  Con Carne dinner and my neighbours in the caravan are playing a bit of David Bowie as the sun sets. Great setting for the long thin Duke to sing his tunes........Ch Ch Ch Ch Changes........

No comments:

Post a Comment